Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fare thee well, aul buddy

Ok something I regret not doing with all of my previous systems that I'd owned -
  • written down the system specs &
  • pictures
Ah better late than never. So here's my old system that I will be handing over:

Compaq(HP)
Processor: AMD Athlon 3500+ (64 bit)
Clock speed: 1.45 Ghz
System Memory : 1.25 GB
Graphics Chip: ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
Graphics Memory: 128 MB (dedicated)
HDD: 95 GB
Screen: 15.4 inches
Optical Drive: DVD/CD burner combo drive
Just a basic description. Not that I can think of any other detail worth recording at the moment. But given that there's always a chance some time in the future a niggling instance might occur when you need, well actually want, a bit more detailed info about a particular specification... ah well.

With all the hoopla and bling associated with the current range of laptops and OSes, the Compaq with windows XP is a hardy, reliable system and letting go seems harder than it should. Apart from Ubuntu I can't think of an another GUI that comes close to functionality over appearance and the utility you gain from it, which prima facie is the more important than looks.

So that's it, so long old buddy of 7 odd years. Parting is a bittersweet moment.











Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: