Monday, July 16, 2007

Back to IELTS

I received my IELTS results in the mail today. The clear window in the front seemed to have been ripped out by some scavenger and the package was scuffed and bent. The packaging wasn't the only thing I was unhappy with.


Even though I saw my results online before, it felt so uncool to see it in print.

I have no problem with my listening mark, I lost focus early on when I didn't realise that the speaker had moved onto the next page. Then I fumbled up later on as well.

Reading, I've out done myself, (whoo hoo! chocolate covered double chocolate donut without the hole in the middle!) going at it like a relentless pack of wild dogs and earned the mark I rightfully deserved.

Writing marks resulted from me not getting as much practice as I had planned plus having an off day at the test. It just didn't flow as when I usually write and the stars weren't in alignment as well.

Speaking was an 8. Ok another mark i'm not happy with, even though it's better than a 7 *shudders at the thought*. Thought patterns and speaking rhythm do not have to be one continuous stream to be acceptable as highly skillful. Pauses dramatic or otherwise, gesturing, ho-humming are all part of modern speech. Oh and i'm sorry if the invigilator cannot keep up with me nor understand what I said at one point. I made perfect sense, proper vernacular AND grammatically correct. But I didn't feel I should've pointed out that what I had replied was precisely framed based on her question. My mistake, next time *i hope i won't have to again* I will point it out. Plus I do not feel all that comfortable talking to non-native english speakers as freely and lucidly as i would with native speakers. Even with native speakers, I gauge them and only talk to them within their realm of knowledge and culture. So gimme my damn 9 and we'll call it square fibonacci.

No comments: