Friday, July 1, 2011

How to save battery drain on Vodafone Smart 858

I've just purchased my first ever smart phone courtesy of Vodafone.
**** Update: 7th Aug 2014 recently moved up to a One Plus One **** 

I'd noticed on the Vodafone site itself, the biggest complaint was how short the battery seemed to last. Chocking it up to just regular energy demands for a smart phone, I didn't think too much of it. At the price it was available I didn't care, much.

However, after having barely used it for a day the battery was almost completely drained. So I charged it fully before going to bed. The next morning what I awoke to was perplexing. No it wasn't a giant bean stock. The battery was less than 30 percent and i'd not even used anything.

I tried app killing software, turned off WIFI and everything else, but still nothing. But I did finally find the hitch. So here's what to do:

First off, make sure you do all the manufacturer recommendations to preserve battery. Then make sure to check if the following are off or on:

Settings>Wireless & network settings:
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
Settings>Location & security settings
  • Use wireless networks (this can be kept on as long as Wifi in the previous menu is set to off)
  • Use GPS satellites (as a default this is the largest drain on battery mentioned by the manufacturer)
Now the rascal that I got caught out with
Settings>Accounts & sync settings

  • Background data (this actually uses your cellular connection to continuously relay info back and forth from servers to installed apps)
The last one was the kicker. Now with those settings turned off, your smart phone should see battery usage drop to that of a regular 'Dumb' phone. I don't rely too heavily on internet or app use or games. But occasionally turning them on to access the internet shouldn't drain the battery as much as say leaving them on.
With the background data setting on, my battery usage while on idle or standby was equal to the amount used by the Android system itself.

Apps will still have access via 3G or other connections which will have to be adjusted from within the Apps' own settings, however, turning off background data, should, drastically lessen the flow.

**** Check out my new One Plus One I recently bought ****

Disclaimer: This content is purely for informational purposes and should not be taken in mission critical scenarios. The author accepts no liability for any consequences arising from using this information. The previous part is dismissible, when and only, usage arising constitutes a favorable return and arouses generousness in associated user, who further, wishes to divulge part of generousness to author.Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

CaladoHelena said...

Thanks for the tips ! I really was becoming upset about the battery life.

bonebare said...

Not a problem, glad you found it helpful. Yeh it was perturbing to find the battery drain even when you didn't use any features.

Leesa said...

thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart :) I was ready to buy a new fone, purely because of this very annoying problem.

bonebare said...

Glad to have helped Leesa :)