Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sony PRS-T1

I purchased Sony PRS-T1 after relatively short internal debate/debacle with the kindle touch and others. Although the main contenders were the Sony and Kindle, others were only deemed unattainable due to geographical restrictions or price.

First reaction is that this is a great device, especially when coupled with the uber empowering calibre software. However, first grips with the Sony eBook store, as well as trying to register on the store via the eReader itself has been quite perplexing. Trying to sign up to a new account is near impossible as it getting to the accept button for the EULA is not possible by scrolling or other user menu limbering. The only recourse was to go into the browser menu and set the zoom level to farthest to view the button.

However, having overcome that nuisance, I couldn't complete my registration owing to a required information field. It was the 'set your country field' and the only two options are US and Canada. clearly the ONLY countries in the world. Granted Ireland seems to be excluded from most commercial exchanges even though it is a 'First World Country.'

The Kindle was clearly better when it came to these issues with the integrated Amazon portal and sync it was a breeze and a half. The only reason I traded was the touch screen.

However, there's another niggling issue which sees me foregoing ereaders altogether - Poor viewing of pdf files. Let's not forget that PDF's have been a reckonable file format long before any ebook book formats came about. And there are numerous resources which yield readily, if not solely, as PDF documents. Added to that, PDF's are vastly superior when it comes to layout and graphics. Granted they do not flow as Ebook formats do, with a large enough screen that becomes a non-issue.

Having said this far, I've sold the Sony and don't foresee a future with me owning an eReader (unless they become sufficiently powered, colour screens and larger screen sizes).  Next on the horizon is the Samsung Galaxy Note series.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: