Saturday, June 29, 2013

Samsung Note 10.1. An excellent tablet or is it?

I've finally gotten my hands on a tablet, the Samsung Note 10.1 N8010 series (WiFi only, no 3G). I traded in my Ipod classic to get money off the purchase. So now I am completely Apple free. Now I've not had the chance to use the tablet much but here are a few points of note(pun no intended) I've noticed so far.


Weight

Unless the device is rested, using proper holder/cover, this is somewhat tricky to hold and angle for use.




I've invested in a cover which also doubles as a prop stand, both vertically and horizontally. The Samsung note 8 seems a good optimum size for a tablet and boasts a faster processor. My next venture will be that one since most other specs are equal, bar the processor, battery duration and weight.

Screen

The screen resolution is adequate for most uses, but those used to higher resolutions would notice some details. But only just. Both the Note 10.1 and Note 8 has the same screen resolution 1280 x 800, but owing to the smaller screen size, the Note 8 has 189 ppi to the Note 10's 149 ppi.
In bright light conditions the screen does present a problem common to most touch screens, finger prints and smudges galore. The glare issue isn't much considering it can be compensated for by increasing the brightness.
This is where the pen comes in handy. Even though it seems superfluous to the touch screen experience the S-Pen has a lot to be desired for.

 

S-Pen

The Note series incorporates the Samsung S-Pen stylus which is an integrated into the body. This prevents wayward accessory syndrome. Wacom tablet technology is utilized which presents pressure sensitivity (1024 levels) and other benefits not found in similar devices.

My device however seems to be having issues. One of the reasons I bought this device was so I could practice and improve my drawing skills. But being an used device I'm wagering that this device has had some damage. So till such time as I come across a new stylus I cannot be sure to the true usefulness. ***There are several tutorials online to adjust the pens sensitivity and something else, but requires having to pry open the button. I've done that and mucked around with combinations for nearly an hour but it just reverted back to slightly annoying in a few days.***

I use a trust flex tablet on my pc to sketch and even though I'm not up to commercial quality just yet, I do manage decent drawings and sketches .

 

 TouchWiz

Initially I was concerned with Samsung's TouchWiz interface, but it's just an overlay and doesn't pose much issue with app development as I initially worried it might require proprietary tools and development as opposed to vanilla Android such. It does have a certain appeal and there are ways of rooting to plain Android schemes but unless if you are an ardent purist I suggest against it.

Flash
Image representing YouTube as depicted in Crun...
Image via CrunchBase

Flash, ah ahhh, he'll save every.... er ahem. Another bone of contention is Flash. Whereby it was supported until a few odd months ago. Now it is no longer de rigeur Android, but could be installed via non-google play installers to support Flash once more. Huzzah. Why it was removed no one knows. There exist YouTube apps (especially the official one) which allows to peruse the youtube videos all the live long day, but if you happen to venture to other sites featuring flash content, you are out of luck, unless if you do the aforementioned.

 

Overall Experience

The experience on it so far has been smooth, although I do primarily use it for reading PDFs and my Kindle app. The device does come bundled with Photoshop Touch edition. I figure it is primarily a photo editor and does not lend well to sketching. I have see the sketching ability on YouTube using a note 10.1 but owing to the pen situation I have still to verify it.


Battery life is adequate, considering you do not leave WiFi running and there are few built in features to better handle power depletion but at a hit on performance. Bar the weighty issue making it somewhat unwieldy, this is a very good tablet with top-notch specs for the person seeking a productivity enhancement tool as well as a entertainment device.



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.