Saturday, July 25, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Harry Potter (character)Image via Wikipedia
I'd been a very reluctant Harry Potter spectator when I first happened to be taken to the first movie or the second one or whichever. I found it a tad unfulfilling and juvenile, pre-prepubescent if you will. However, I'm more than glad that I went and saw the latest offering. It was thoroughly gripping, entertaining and offered a relief from the recent spate of poorly executed cine. Unusually long as well, nearly three hours. And not in a dragging, "can't wait to get out of this" way, on the contrary I kept hoping it hadn't quite reached the end. I haven't seen the previous releases of this name so not really sure what to contrast it with. What I do know, however, is that the cast have matured, and the storyline and atmosphere darker in tone. There were some stark similarities that I oddly perceptive mind happened to notice whilst the movie. *******SPOILER ALERT********* for those who have not read the book or seen the move yet skip to after the stars please :) The scene where Ian McKellen's character Dumbledore falls to his demise seems reminiscent of Gandalf's fall in the Lord of the Rings. And when Dumbledore visits the young Voldemort, aka Tom Riddle, in his "quarters" seems very Xmen-like visitation before being accepted into the academy. ************************ Maybe that's where the appeal in it lies for me, it's grown closer to the kind of movies I'm keen. This is however a franchise onto itself and adds a somewhat distinct and subtler form. It is a wholesome movie, very engaging, or disengaging, however you like to see entertainment, wholly entertaining, providing the right amount of action, mysticism, romance, budding young pubscent attraction and well worth the money paid to watch it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: